Sunday, March 24, 2013

Grammar Girl's Punctuation 911 - You need this book!



When I’m not writing, I’m editing. I’m a contract editor for a publisher. I also edit for friends and friends of friends in between assignments, and in between those assignments and requests, I edit myself. One thing editing has taught me is to be hyperaware of not making the same mistakes as the writers that I’m editing. While my job is primarily about spotting continuity errors, applying duct tape to plot holes and fact checking, I also try to clean up the grammar and punctuation as much as I can.

I’ve had many writers tell me that they do not remember how to properly use commas and other punctuation marks. I’ve had some tell me that expecting them to use them between independent clauses isn’t required anymore—well it is. I’ve had others blink at me like a deer in the headlights when I tell them that a semicolon should be used instead when there is no conjunction.

I read books on grammar. It’s part of my job. It’s me making sure that I am not sending my editors a nightmare. You cannot trust Word to put a green line under all your grammatical errors, because when it comes to commas, Word is frequently wrong.

This little 99 cent book is wonderful. Grammar Girl breaks punctuation down in plain English, and she gets the message across about how it should be done with simple examples. Any one who writes or edits should buy this book. It will never leave my Kindle.

It has replaced English Simplified as my favorite book for punctuation and grammar, and not just because English Simplified is overpriced because it’s a textbook. You don’t feel like you’re in English 101 with some grad student browbeating you for leaving out a comma with Grammar Girl’s Punctuation 911. If you write, you can’t afford not to buy and read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment